1. Sahitya Akademi Award, 1983
2. Assam Sahitya Sabha Award in 1988.
3. Bharat Nirmaan Award in 1989.
4. Sauhardya Award of Uttar Pradesh Hindi Sansthan of Government of India, 1992.
5. Katha National Award for Literature in 1993.
6. Kamal Kumari Foundation National Award in 1996.
7. International Jury’s Award for the film “Adajya” based on her novel The Moth Eaten Howdah of a Tusker, directed by Santana Bordoloi in 1997.
8. The International Tulsi Award from Florida International University for her book, Ramayana From Ganga To Brahmaputra
9. Jnanpith Award for Literature, 2000.
10. Padmashri (which she refused)
11. D Litt Degree from Rabindra Bharati University, West Bengal in the year 2002.
12. Mahiyoshi Jaymati Award with a citation in gold by Ahom Court of Assam, 2002.
13. Honoured by the Govt of Assam for winning the Jnanpith Award, the highest literary award of India.
14. Awarded the Ambassador for Peace from the Inter Religious and International Federation for World Peace.